Important Section: Continuous Integration in Modern Application Development
Continuous Integration (also known as CI) is a method of application of development where developers assimilate code into a shared repository routinely. Ideally, developers do this several times a day. An automated build and automated tests can substantiate each integration. Continuous Integration implies strongly automated testing. But it is not a direct part of continuous Integration.
In maximum industrial sectors, companies which manufacture good software are the best. As a result, software development teams are transfiguring the performance of their software functioning. They do so to optimize for efficiency, quality, and reliability. Continuous Integration is increasingly popular among modern development associations along with Continuous Development and Continuous Delivery.
This article deals with how important Continuous Integration has become in the realm of development of modern application. Let us see what benefits do CI serves.
The Positive Hemisphere of the Application of Continuous Integration
The foremost persuasion of Continuous Integration is the allocation of rapid feedback. This is because if a defect introduces itself into the code base, the system can easily identify and correct as soon as possible. Modern development associations are making their way up to Continuous Deployment and this is why it is proper to commence with automated testing through Continuous Integration in the current period.
Continuous Integration has proven itself to be an ideal path in improving the standard of the code with automated tests on each new commit. Let me disclose the crucial benefits of Continuous Integration.
- CI can detect integration bugs very early. It is very straightforward to spoor them down due to small change sets. It acts as both a time and money saver for the project
- Whenever a bug comes into view very few changes are lost if developers need to invert the codebase to bug-free condition without debugging as integration takes place very customarily
- Continuous Integration definitely prevents integration flaws which allows you to deliver software more rapidly
- Commits code frequently
- CI categorizes developer sets
- It totally prevents long and tense integration
- CI increases visibility which enables greater communication
- Uses continuous feedback mechanisms
- Continuous Integration performs automatic deployment
- Continuous Integration gives quality assurance
These were the major plus points that CI ladle us out. Continuous Integration has become one of the most important criteria in modern application development.
Modern Application Development – Let Dive a Bit Deeper
Modern Application Development is an outlook to plotting, manufacturing and administering applications. This system shoots up your team’s agility along with the reliability, robustness, and scalability of the software applications. With the help of modern application development, you turn out to be very much capable of easily building better products more spritely to get happier clients.
The Catbird Seats of Modern Application Development
Application of Continuous Integration in development of modern application has proven very advantageous. The four major pros of application development are as follows.
- Practice of speeding up release cycle helps the developers to add new features very quickly. Automated tests and release procedures encourages the reduction of rates of errors. This helps the products to get ready for the market more quickly.
- Modern applications are trustworthy at development by testing at every deployment stage and automatic test processes. This gives real time outcomes in application with improved performance.
- Modular architectures are able to alter individual component very fast with a lower risk to the application. If the team reduces the time of maintenance, they automatically gets more time for experimenting with new ideologies.
- Serverless technologies are used in manufacturing modern application and this reduces the cost of benefiting the customers. Offloading infrastructure management also reduces overall maintenance cost price.
The Latest Framework of Software Development Process and it’s Problems
Before the application of Continuous Integration, the traditional development model will appear like:
- When you are beginning a project, you have to divide the module first and assign them to their respective developers.
- The developer forges up a structure or a module to execute unit testing.
- Followed by the building up of all the modules, the project manager integrates all the code.
- The Project Manager then deploys the integrated project to the test server and submit to the tester for integration testing.
- In the process of testing the emergence of bugs can be the source of multiple problems.
- The bug is fixed by a respective responsible person by making changes. This duty is associated by the project manager himself.
- The bug is fixed and the modification is finally completed. Then, the project manager integrates the project once again and deploys it to the test server.
- In the next integration test the tester do regression testing.
- The project deploys to the production environment after passing through the test.
- If the test fails, the whole procedure is repeated again. It goes like Assign Bug > Modify Bug > Integration Code > Deploy to The Server > Integration Test.
The Difficulties That Might Occur While Following These Steps
There are many difficulties that can occur in every step while processing the above steps. These are the problems you will come face to face with.
1. You will Get the Bug Always at the End
With the gradual modern application development, the measure of software is also increasing and the requirements of a software are getting more and more complicated. Just dividing modules cannot build you up a software. There are reliance between modules at least to some extent. This is the reason the team detects the bugs during the final integration which are actually present early times.
2. The Time of the Software Delivery Has No Surety
Most of the times the bug fixation does not occur in the correct times. Therefore, the time for fixing bugs also become very long. Consequently, the developers fail to deliver the software at the proper time. The developers have to bear a lot of workloads which made them store the fixation job for later. So it definitely consumes too much time in detecting and fixing all the bugs.
3. The Problem Becomes Harder to Solve with the Project Being Late
It is not easy to detect the main cause of the bugs in certain projects. The developers thus spend a lot of time in finding out the root of the bugs during the time of integration. The cost of fixation of the bugs also raises with the increment of timespan.
4. Programs Often Need Change
There are many agile development practitioners who are responsible to change the programs completely in a few projects. The software is a prototype which will need a remodelling of the program very often. This means that ‘Assign Bug > Modify Bug > Integration Code > Deploy to Test server > Integration Test’ method is completely proving itself false being non-existent and exploding.
5. Wait, Wait and Keep on Waiting
The tester waits for the developer for the bug fixation in the software. The product manager waits for the fresh version to go live to the customer as a demonstration. The project manager waits for the fresh version to go live to the customer as a demonstration. The project manager waits for somebody else to submit to him the code. Waiting and more waiting make the procedure less efficient.
6. Does Not Satisfy the Users Completely
How can the user be satisfied if the duration of the project completion extends to nine months or even one year in some cases when it was actually thought of completing within three months? Some products are used as demo products for the customers before they actually purchase them.
Bug fixation is always so time consuming that few demo products are left without the bugs being fixed and modified completely. This causes an unsuccessful accession of the products to the customers and hence the product that comes out does not satisfy the customer.
Epilogue – Let’s Wrap Up
Teams who practice the application of CI in modern application development can spread new features and enhancements to consumers more quickly. This procedure of work also increases association among the teams. It always helps in the production of smarter and more innovative elucidations. The main source of all these is ultimately Continuous Integration (CI).
This ends my article. Now you know how important Continuous Integration has become in the development of modern application. Stay tuned to know about various technical articles.
Comment in the section below if you have any words for this piece. Share this with the world and let us reach our helping hands to more people.